E. H. Gentry Campus
(1209 Fort Lashley Ave., Talladega, AL 35160)
Services for the Deaf
Community Sign Language Classes
January 30- March 20
5:30 – 7:30 PM
Classes will be held at AIDB:
EH Gentry Facility
1105 Fort Lashley Avenue
Talladega, AL 35160
Space is limited! Please register now!
**Must have 5 people preregistered per class prior to January 29 to secure the class.**
Please complete and return the registration form, along with payment, to: Community ASL Classes
EH Gentry – Services for the Deaf, P O Box 698, Talladega, AL 35161
Tuesday, January 30, 2018
4:30 – 5:30 PM
EH Gentry, Grider Hall – Front Lobby
(The first class begins immediately following late registration.)
Curriculum: Signing Naturally Series
Introduction to communicating with people who are Deaf; focusing on development of expressive and receptive sign skills, manual alphabet, numbers, and sign vocabulary; overview of syntax and grammatical features related to American Sign Language and deaf culture.
Continued development of language skills for communicating with people who are Deaf, including numbers, finger spelling, and Deaf culture; emphasis on enhancement of receptive sign skills and continued development of sign vocabulary.
Prerequisites: ASL 1 or permission of coordinator
Concentration on ASL grammar (non-manual markers, classifiers, spatial verbs and directionality), receptive skills, and Deaf culture; continued development of sign vocabulary.
Prerequisites: ASL 2 or permission of coordinator
Classes are NOW AVAILABLE for those who have completed ASL III and want to develop advanced conversational skills in ASL.
Class Fee (per person)*
Registration by January 29 – $70
Late Registration- January 30 – $75
Please, no students under 10 years of age.
Students ages 10 to 16 must enroll with an adult.
*Fee is waived for parents or legal guardians of Deaf children enrolled in AIDB programs. Please contact the child’s principal or case manager to register.
**Please be sure to read the agreement. You will be asked to sign this agreement on the first day of class**
COMMUNITY AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE (ASL) CLASSES
Student Contract & Agreement
As a participant in the sign language classes offered at EH Gentry:
- I understand that any and all fees paid towards these community sign language classes are nonrefundable.
- I understand that this class is a community-focused sign language class, designed to help persons, especially those in frequent contact with the Deaf community, learn the fundamentals of American Sign Language. Preference will be given to parents of AIDB students and the community.
- I understand that this class is not intended, nor designed, to prepare persons for evaluation by the Sign Communication Proficiency Interview (SCPI), as required for some positions of employment with Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB). All AIDB employees will be required to pay to attend these community classes.
- I understand that this class is not intended, nor designed, to prepare persons for evaluation by any state quality assurance or national interpreter assessment or certification.
- I agree to let my instructor or the class coordinator know if I will be absent or tardy as soon as possible, acknowledging that course completion requires attendance of at least six classes and passing of the final exam.
- I agree to allow AIDB to release my attendance record or grade to any agency or organization that requests my sign language class information.
- I agree and consent to the use of my name and photo in the media as a part of the general Public Information Program of AIDB. This consent/authorization will automatically expire at the end of the class session to which I am enrolled. I understand that I have the right to revoke this release in writing at any time.
- While getting the maximum enjoyment from the course, I agree to remain courteous and respectful of other participants’ beliefs, backgrounds and opinions. I will refrain from any negative or degrading comments or actions, remaining sensitive to the needs and rights of others, including those with disabilities.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Sara Presley, Interpreter and Community ASL Class Coordinator at Presley.Sara@aidb.org or 256-375-5577 (cell: text and voice) or 256-761-3492 (office).