R-3565 Reference # 11645250
Posting Date: May 26, 2017
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Contract Support Service Provider (SSP) (As Needed)
Office of Field Services-Talladega Regional Center
. Must possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent and be over 18 years of age.
- Must submit a documentation of training obtained as an SSP or 2 letters of recommendation attesting to your abilities to provide SSP duties.
- Must be willing to attend in-service and training seminars as requested.
- Available to work flexible hours, including daytime, evenings and weekends.
- Possess human relations skills to work cooperatively with the community and AIDB staff.
- Possess knowledge and/or willing to learn about current trends related to SSP, Deaf, Blind and Deaf/Blind cultures and community.
- Must be able to physically assist consumers as required and as assigned, including pushing wheelchairs, transfers and lifting.
- Ability to communicate in American Sign Language (ASL), Signed English, and Tactile communication.
- Must possess a sign language proficiency level of Intermediate Plus
- The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background check including, but not limited to FBI and ABI record repositories, as required by Alabama State law. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $49.65 and appear for a scheduled finger printing appointment.
- Provide environmental information including who is in a room, who entered or left the room, décor and surroundings, weather changes or announcements, activities in the room and who is participating and/or speaking, etc. In short, all we see and hear at an event.
- Serve as a human guide while walking to/from a meeting room, a restroom, through a lunch line during a workshop or training and on public/private transportation.
- Provide support to Deaf/Blind consumer in homes, training, employment and community.
- Maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality. Demonstrate reliability and dependability and effectively manage a flexible schedule.
- Demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills to interact with staff members and consumers with courtesy, tact and patience.
- Facilitates Communication
- Prepare and submit monthly invoices and reports to appropriate departments/units in a timely and professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $25.00 per hour
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.