R-3506 Reference #3130165
Posting Date: March 20, 2017
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Dorm Aide
Helen Keller School of Alabama
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree is desired
- Successful experience working directly with children in a day program or educational setting is desired.
- Ability to work afternoons, evenings, and weekends (SECOND OR THIRD SHIFT).
- A sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL is required within the first year (12) months of employment. A level of INTERMEDIATE must be obtained within thirty (30) months.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Alabama Driver License and may be required to obtain an Alabama School Bus Driver License within the first twelve (12) months of employment. If required, must maintain yearly certification for Alabama School Bus Driver License.
- Applicant must be able to be insured by the AIDB insurance carrier.
- Must pass MCS Class within the first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain certification throughout employment as required.
- Must complete CPR/First Aide within the first twelve (12) months of employment. Must maintain certification after initial certification.
- Must complete Orientation and Mobility class within the first twelve (12) months of employment.
- Must be able to physically assist assigned wheelchair or physically disadvantaged students as their needs dictate, to include the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently during work shift and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or use an assistive device.
- Must be willing to work with horses in the Equestrian Program.
- Must be willing to get in the swimming pool with students to assist in implementing their program, as scheduled.
- Experience in working with children with multiple disabilities is desirable.
- The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background information check including, but not limited to, FBI and ABI record repositories. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $49.65 and appear for scheduled fingerprinting appointment.
- Closely monitor student assigned at all times. Student may not be left unattended.
- Exemplary attendance is crucial to the care of our students and maintaining the position.
- Must remain awake and alert at all times when scheduled on duty.
- Must document student according to monitoring protocol.
- Escort student to the cafeteria and assist student with eating.
- Engage in housekeeping chores as required.
- Keep timely and accurate records regarding student.
- Administer medicine after training when directed and keep accurate records.
- Complete laundry as assigned.
- Ensure that student is clean and well groomed.
- Use total communication while on duty.
- Assist other dorm staff as directed by Supervisor.
- Handle emergency situations in a calm manner.
- Adhere to established chain of command and established guidelines.
- Participate in inservices and workshops as requested or scheduled.
- Maintain cleanliness in the dormitory at all times.
- Demonstrate initiative.
- Engage in appropriate self-development activities.
- Complete required inservices/workshops per AIDB policy.
- Demonstrate appropriate sighted guide techniques.
- Demonstrate flexibility and positive attitude, adapting to change.
- Implement established behavior management plan and follow reporting procedures, as developed.
- Adhere to confidentiality requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the HKS Principal, Residential Director and HKS Dorm Supervisor.
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently during work shift and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or use an assistive device.
- Must be physically able to attend to all students’ physical needs, including transfers, wheelchairs, bathing, dressing and grooming activities as part of student care.
- Plan, participate in and implement appropriate leisure and recreational activities when not otherwise scheduled.
- Report damages or needs for the dormitory to the Director of Residential Program according to established protocol.
- Implement scanning system as trained and according to established procedures.
- Other Duties as Assigned. The person appointed to this job shall have an opportunity to review the contents of the job description and request explanations or interpretations of the job requirements. It is understood and agreed that this document constitutes a general job description and cannot include all duties incumbent with this position. The duties/responsibilities of this position are subject to modifications in terms of management’s expectations or needs. Acceptance of this position implies a complete understanding of the terms.
REPORTS TO: Director of Residential Program
SALARY: DORM AIDE $11.03 – $17.15 Scale HP Rank 40 (High School Diploma/GED)
DORM AIDE $12.75 – $17.85 Scale HP Rank 42 (BS degree required)
Direct deposit is required.
This is a non-exempt position, and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: APRIL 3, 2017
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.