AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants.
POSITION: SIGN LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR – (CONTRACT)
Location: Montgomery, Dothan and Birmingham Regional Centers
Office of Field Services
|Position ID Number||Regional Center|
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years experience working with deaf or is a native signer.
- Thorough knowledge and experience using and teaching ASL.
- Preference will be given to ASLTA (American Sign Language Teachers Association) certified teachers.
- Preference will also be given to RID certifications and /or NAD Levels 4 & 5.
- Must possess a sign language proficiency level of ADVANCED PLUS as rated on the SCPI or a Level of ADVANCED for beginning sign language classes only. Interpreters licensed by the state of Alabama, and ASLTA certified are exempted from the SCPI.
- The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background information check including, but not limited to FBI and ABI record repositories. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $49.65 and appear for scheduled fingerprinting appointment.
- Teach sign language classes using the curriculum prescribed by the Regional Director or the sign language class coordinator designated by the Regional Director.
- Turn in lesson plans to the Regional Director or Coordinator on a weekly basis.
- Participate in any required training as assigned by the Regional Director or Coordinator.
- Follow all AIDB and Regional Center policies.
- Maintain accurate records of hours for payroll.
- Arrange classroom to provide an environment conducive to learning.
- Clean classroom and remove any trash when class is complete each class night.
- Turn all requested paperwork or forms in on a timely manner as requested.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Regional Director.
SALARY: $25.70 per hour Scale PH Rank 01
Direct deposit is required.
This is an exempt position, and is not subject to overtime or compensatory provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or direct service delivery and may be terminated at any time.